The Chicora Life Center is a $29 million-plus privately invested redevelopment of the old Naval Hospital property in North Charleston, SC.
The Center will serve as a social services hub, featuring myriad social, government, non-profit and care facilities – all in one building conveniently located in the heart of Charleston County.
“Customers, clients and the general public who travel to the Chicora Life Center will find a very positive experience. It is easy to access and a convenient combination of services all in one location,” said North Charleston Mayor Keith Summey in announcing the project.
The building features almost 400,000 square feet of Class A medical office, meeting, retail and public space. Agencies and services that have signed leases include:
- Charleston County Vital Records
- Charleston County Coroner’s Office
- S.C. Department of Alcohol and Other Drugs Abuse Services*
- S.C. DHEC*
- Fetter Health Care Network, Inc.
A number of other tenants are expected to be finalized shortly.
The Center is owned by Chicora Gardens Holdings, LLC.
The Chicora Life Center team has made great progress in the historic — and massive — redevelopment of the old Naval Hospital property in North Charleston, SC.
Following is a timeline of the project to date:
- January 2014: Chicora Life Center purchas the property from the City of North Charleston for $5.5 million.
- June 2014: The County of Charleston signs a lease to become the Chicora Life Center’s anchor tenant.
- July 2014: Commencement of required demolition in the Charleston County tenant space.
- July 2014: Fetter Health Care Network signs lease with Chicora Life Center.
- August 2014: Chicora Life Center obtains $10.8 million loan from UC Funds; completes payoff to the City of North Charleston.
- September 2014: Demolition begins of surgical suites on floors 9 & 10.
- October 2014: Beginning of construction work on Charleston County tenant spaces.
- October 2014: Demolition completed on floors 9 & 10.
- October 2014: Demolition commences of 4th floor maternity and surgical suites.
- October 2014: Demolition begins in the Fetter Health Care Networktenant space.
- October 2014: Tricounty Intergroup signs lease with Chicora Life Center.
- October 2014: Investment by Chicora Life Center reaches $7.5 million.
- November 2014-February 2014: Investments by Chicora Life Center reach $9.0 million.
- February 2015: Fetter Health Care Network expands lease for additional space.
- March 2014: Investment by Chicora Life Center reaches $10 million.
- April 2015: Temporary HVAC systems installed.
- April 2015: Tricounty Intergroup takes occupancy; moves into building.
- May 2015: Total investment by Chicora Life Center reaches $12 million.
- May 2015: Certificates of Occupancy for all Charleston County spaces obtained.
- May 2015: Total investment by Chicora Life Center reaches $13.5 million.
- July 2015: Fetter Health Care Networkmoves into part of space.
- September 2015: Total investment by Chicora Life Center reaches $15 million.
- October 2015: Additional funding from UC Funds obtained to complete new HVAC systems for Charleston County space; tenant improvements and new HVAC systems for South Carolina Department of Mental Health space and Franklin C. Fetter Health Center tenant space.
- October 2015: South Carolina Department of Mental Health signs lease with Chicora Life Center.